Friday, October 06, 2006

everything you ever wanted to know.

I'm doing the What's Cooking Apron Swap - what a great idea! When I was a kid, my mom had a bunch of aprons that she would wear them for cooking when company came - they were not functional, but they were fabulous. I have most of them now, and a bunch of other vintage aprons that I have collected over my many years of thrift shopping. They are unfortunately all still in storage until we finish the construction on our house, otherwise I'd post pictures...

Anyway, here are my answers to the getting to know you meme - ready?

1. what kind of holiday party food do you like best? finger food buffet or sit down multi-course style?

I love sit down dinners, but I also love to eat with my fingers. I tend to prefer a smaller shindig, twenty people or fewer as opposed to a big party where you don't actually get to chat with everyone.

2. do you make/use those little name cards for your table seating or is that just another little something that magazines are trying to add to our already long holiday to-do list?

No name tags. I have control issues, but not to that extent - sit where you like.

3. do you miss sitting at the "kid's table"?

Actually, the last holiday at my parents' house, I was at the kid's table. It was so fun!

4. any particular holiday party traditions that you like to do every year?

The last few years have been transitional - we moved, started a (brutal!) addition/remodel, and got married. This year will be the first one spent at home in the last 4 years so we will be starting some new traditions, I think... That being said, we never miss black eyed peas for New Years, and I'll be making tamales for Christmas for sure. Ooh, and potato latkes. Yum.

5. Which is your favorite winter holiday?

I love 'em all. Any excuse for a party.

6. do you make or have you tasted any good egg nog recipes...whether using it in a dish or as a drink?

I've never made egg nog. I don't generally care for the store bought stuff, but if anyone has a good recipe, please pass it this way.

7. fruit cake .... do you love it or think it should be used as a door stop?

Also, unknown. Every year I think 'I should make a fruitcake, just to see what it's like.' But it's one of those things you really have to plan ahead for, which is not my strong suit.

8. What do you like to do to get yourself in the holiday spirit (ie. certain music, visiting certain seasonal sites, enjoying winter weather, ect.)

Well, since we are in sunny Southern California, we don't get the weather. We usually bust out the Christmas music, and that does the trick. There is also a giant Christmas tree at the local shopping center - I mean giant - and the for reals Santa. I take my lil' girl there, and that helps too. Hard not to get the spirit with a kid in the house.

9. What is your favorite holiday song and who sings it best?

Santa Claus Got Stuck In My Chimney, sung by Ella Fitzgerald. Absolutely.

10. Any ideas for interesting holiday themed parties? (Even if it's really out there -- like renting a snow machine and having everyone build snowmen if you live in a no-snow areas!)

Ooh, I'm going to have to give this some thought...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Totally agree about the difficulty getting into the Christmas spirit in So Cal with no snow. But, we manage! I'm also in the swap. : )

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the most wonderful tea swap package! You are the best!!!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Birthday!!!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Bev said...

What a great swap idea. I'm with you about the black eyed peas completely!

I am really happy to have "met" you via the October Birthday Swap and I hope you have a happy birthday and a year full of health and good wishes!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! This post is getting me into the holiday spirit. I hope you had a special day.

10:49 PM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

welcome to the swap! i'll have to hunt down that ella song.. haven't heard of that one but love her!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad's partner is Hispanic and always used to make us a big batch of tamales for Christmas. I so miss that! I'd fly home right now just for some of his tamales!!!

Looking forward to the swap!

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home